Listed here are the most recent insights from customer support marketing consultant and bestselling writer Micah Solomon
As we speak’s clients insist on the power to work together with corporations by way of a wide range of channels — phone, SMS, stay chat, video chat, and good outdated electronic mail. However whereas good companies have discovered to satisfy these channel calls for, they often fail to pay sufficient consideration to the spine of all communication: language.
In customer support supply, language is much from a trivial matter. It’s not “simply” phrases. Your alternative of phrases and phrases can drive—or utterly sabotage—your capability to make a profitable connection along with your clients.
Odds are, your organization’s language decisions might use some enchancment and a few guardrails. So an necessary step for any enterprise is to construct a language phrasebook (or “lexicon”) that spells out the phrases and phrases prone to join with clients and put them relaxed, and discourages these which can be prone to set a buyer on edge.
Comply with this guidelines: Keep away from – Obtain – Align
In constructing your phrasebook, I recommend you employ this quite simple guidelines — keep away from, obtain, align — as an off-the-cuff and simple to use “language screening software.”
Any questionable phrase — i.e., any phrase or query that sounds slightly off to you whenever you’ve heard it used — is a candidate to place by means of this screener:
- Does it keep away from these negatives? Be careful for any phrases or phrases that may make a buyer bristle, really feel undermined, query your trustworthiness, or really feel that they don’t converse your insider language.
- Does it obtain these objectives? Your phrasing ought to categorical empathy, construct consolation, let a buyer know you may have their again/that you just’re listening/that you just’re not judging, and so forth.
- Does it align along with your model type? Your phrases and phrases ought to align with the suitable (and, ideally, pleasant and distinctive) service type of your specific model.
Listed here are some phrases that ought to fail your screening:
1. “I’m not going to argue with you”:
Keep away from telling a buyer “I’m not going to argue with you,” when a dialog begins to warmth up on their finish. This phrase fails to keep away from a key unfavorable as a result of it actually brings up the idea of argument!
2. “Like I mentioned,” “once more,” or “per my earlier electronic mail”:
Keep away from utilizing the phrase “Like I mentioned,” or “Once more,” or “per my earlier electronic mail” when a buyer has forgotten or failed to know directions or info you’ve given them already. This phrase fails to obtain the comfy verbal surroundings we need to be offering to our clients. As a substitute of “concentration-shaming” your buyer with certainly one of these phrases, simply take a breath after which repeat your self! (And maybe use completely different, easier-to-follow language the second time round.)
3. “To be sincere with you,” “to be completely candid,” or “full disclosure”
You in all probability don’t imply something by it whenever you preface your phrases with a disclaimer like, “To be sincere with you,” or “to be completely candid” or “full disclosure.” Nonetheless, I’d suggest that these phrases fail to align with an optimum service type as a result of: what are they presupposed to think about you had been doing earlier than you grew to become all “sincere” or “candid”: mendacity by means of your tooth?
P.S. For one more helpful useful resource, be at liberty to assist your self to Nextiva’s free buyer assist electronic mail templates.